a collection of technical fixes and other randon stuff


  • Join Us on Facebook!
  • Follow Us on Twitter!
  • LinkedIn
  • Subcribe to Our RSS Feed

How to fix error: Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Path' because it is null when running update-database in package manager


This has caught me out on a few occasions:

When trying to run the

update-database command in Package manager within visual studio , i repeatedly got the error:

Join-Path : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Path' because it is null.



In this instance, i was not pointing the "Default Project" to the data project that I was using.

Simply choose it from the options within the package manager window and re-run the update command.

This should solve the problem.



Schema Compare for Oracle error: "The given key was not present in the dictionary"

When trying to use Schema compare for Oracle, the following message appeared and comparison failed with no detailed information...

"The given key was not present in the dictionary"




There is not much detail on the issue , but to work around this, carefully watch the progress as the comparison is running..

Then look at the options for your project, there may be a switch to ignore the item it was last doing before it fell over.
Try this or a similar /related option, or just try a few to see if it works and narrow it down.

I found on this occasion, the 'Ignore permission' option allowed me to continue, but i would love to know which object was causing this error.

You may have similar issues on other comparison groups. Hopefully this technique will help provide a workaround if a cure is not possible.


For further information, you may want to try enabling verbose logging see this link on instructions....



How to get past MSAccess error 'database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file 'comdlg32.acx' version 1.2'

I came across this error message while trying to open a db/db app developed in MSAccess.
unfortunately the UI would freeze after clicking okay and i couldn't continue.

To get around this I opened the access  file/ .mdb file  in "design mode".

To do this hold down 'shift' while opening the database.

This should hopefully skip any code that has been added that stops the database from opening.


Hope that helps you!

VMRun reports could not connect to the virtual machine or permission denied


Recently I was creating a c# windows service which interacted with VMware machines.

When trying to start up a VM by calling VMrun.exe  i got the error message

"Unable to connect to host"

I found this by piping the response to a text file.

This is how it was solved:

To get around this I changed the command i was using to not use the GUI (nogui) option.

The only thing you need to consider is that running VMs will not be controllable by your manual login/UI as they are running via different process.


Full command line details are available here: